This information is provided as is for informational purposes only. I take no responsibility for any of your actions or consequences as a result of using this guide.
For those who used Nokia phones with Symbian S60 3rd Edition and wanted to save RM80 just follow these few steps…
BACKUP YOUR PHONE
- you can do this by using Nokia OVI SUITES
- once you have done your backup.. keep it safely
PREPARE THE INSTALLATION FILES
- Firstly you need to buy the Garmin Mobile XT from the Garmin distributors. I saw one at Low Yat Plaza. We support only original Garmin from authorised distributors.
- If you don’t have money to buy, you can download the installation files. Where to download? I also don’t know where to download….
- Once you have downloaded, unzip it.
INSTALLATION STARTS HERE
- connect your phone from the USB connection via ‘Mass storage mode’
- From your PC, install “GarminMobileXTforSymbianS603rdEdition_50050.exe” then follow the steps until finish.
- once finished step 2… continue with “GarminMobileXTFreeBasemap_4xxxx.exe”
- then follow with “GarminMobileXTSupportFiles_4xxxx.exe”
- Remove USB connection between PC and phone. When your phone prompted ‘Launch GarminXT’, just Cancel. Don’t and don’t click ‘yes
- From your phone, go to Menu > Settings > Application Manager > Installation files. Install GarminXT.sis file.
CONFIGURING GARMIN XT
- These steps for those who has no money. For those with a lot of money don’t follow these steps.
- Run GarminXT from your phone at Menu > Application > Garmin. Please follow the sequence and select your preferable.
- When prompted to “buy” or “Trial”, select the far bottom options “Connect to a Garmin GPS” or in some cases select “Use other device” then you will get “Where To?” and “View map” screen.
- In GarminXT, go to Tools > Settings > About.Write down the “Card ID”, and Exit GarminXT
- From your PC, (don’t connect the USB to your phone), run “garmin_k**n.exe” and enter the “Card ID” from previous steps.
- Click Generate and copy the codes to Notepad, save it as sw.unl (make sure it is sw.unl and not sw.unl.txt)
- Connect back your phone to PC and select “Mass storage mode”.
- Copy “sw.unl” to Garmin folder. Usually located at E:/Garmin.
- Download the updated maps from http://www.malsingmaps.com or http://www.malfreemaps.com and copy it into Garmin folder. You need to register as member if you want to download the GPS MAP source from www.malsingmaps.com… It is free anyway. Copy the “gmapsupp.img” into the garmin folder.
- Disconnect your phone from PC.
- From your phone, Run GarminXT
- Go to Tools > Settings > System > Remote GPS. Change to “Use Attached GPS” by disabling the “Bluetooth GPS”.
- Go to Tools > Manage My Data > Map Sets > MapSource. Ensure that all maps are enabled.
- That’s all folks….
NOTES FOR SONY ERICSSON SATIO
Please Google for “IMEI to UnitID Converter v1.0″ before executing STEP-5 in the Configuration Setup
Notes: If these steps does not work for you… don’t blame me!!!!
Note: Steps to download and copy maps.
- download maps from malsingmaps.com or malfreemaps.com
- by using your pc, copy the gmapsupp.img into the sdcard/garmin folder
Another related post: